While playing a little bit with paper, I started playing with the water bomb base. I then moved into the frog-base (I think) whice has some potential for bugs: 4 long limbs, elongated body, and four shorter flaps.
Here are the results:
These two critters look moderately bug-like. Note that the left one has these two fins at the side – those are two of the flaps. One other is the head.
I had another piece of paper which is now fubar (folded up beyond all recognition) of the same fold, which resembled a human being. I’ll probably be playing with this fold some more, while looking for minimum cuts (in graphs) and writing a compiler (for cpl).