Distorm3 progress and SVN

Finally, Distorm3 is progressing. With heaps of work done by Gil, and some more by me, the project will soon be on its feet. One thing that really gave us a feeling of progress, is setting up Subversion. We thought of setting our own, but finally decided on using Assembla, after a good friend recommended it. There are other options, but Assembla seems really good, although it does have its drawbacks. (Your code goes in clear-text for one).

When I was using windows I worked with TortoiseSVN, but now on my Ubuntu, I’m using RapidSVN, with meld as my diff tool. Although Rapid is cool, I liked Tortoise better. It was faster, much more intuitive, and I liked the commit window better. It gave me a choice on what to commit, and I could (from the commit window) run a diff on each file I changed, and using the diff write a short comment on my changes in the commit comment. While RapidSVN obviously also allows for commit comments, I have to do all the work beforehand. It’s a bit more cumbersome.

Another thing – I’m working on unit-testing using the excellent unittest module. Using coverage.py along with the testing makes my code so much better, and me so much happier. Since we have a little bit of c-code generation, one of the (a little bit hackish) tests I wrote was running gcc on some sample output, and making sure there were no errors or warnings. Fun. One of my next todos is compiling a few small executables, and making sure that they run without errors, all from within the unit-testing of the code generation module.

All in all, it’s good to finally be working organized.

This entry was posted in Linux, Programming, Projects, Python and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.